Use a metal measuring tape, not a short ruler or stretchy cloth tape measure. Measure all windows, even if they appear to be the same size. The differences may surprise you. Record width first, then height (also referred to as length) to the nearest 1/8".
Inside mount blinds and shades are installed inside the window casing. Minimum depth requirements vary by product and headrail type, or by tube size for Solar Shades.
- Measure the exact inside width of window casing from one inside edge to the other in three different places. Record the narrowest measurement.
- Measure the exact height in three different places from top edge of opening to top of sill. Record the longest measurement. Solar Shades should be measured at the top only.
- Do not take any deductions for clearance. The factory will take necessary deductions for a perfect fit.
- Measure the window diagonally in two places, as shown. If the diagonal dimensions are not equal, we recommend an outside mount application for optimal function and aesthetics.
Outside mount blinds and shades are installed outside the window casing, covering an area larger than the window itself.
- Measure the exact width to be covered. Be sure the measurement overlaps the window opening by at least 1 ½" on each side (3" total overlap) to ensure light control and privacy.
- For Solar Shades make sure the measurement overlaps the window opening by at least 3" on each side (6" total overlap) to ensure light control and privacy.
- Measure exact height to be covered, including desired overlap (typically from top edge of molding to bottom edge, or to top of sill if there is one).
- The factory makes NO allowances on outside mount.